Free Consultation

Modification of Child Custody or Support

Child custody and support disputes can be time-consuming and result in substantial emotional stress. Modification of custody or support is a detailed process that requires mediation and agreement when it comes to the new terms. With all the steps that need to be taken, this a process where someone with in-depth legal knowledge will be extremely helpful.

Whether seeking child custody, child support, or visitation rights, it is important to hire an experienced family lawyer who can use their knowledge of Florida family law to put you in a favorable position.

DeFuniak Springs Child Support and Custody Modification Lawyer

If you want to modify your child custody or support agreement, Clay and Clayton Adkinson are experienced family law attorneys who take what happens to your children and custody or support concerns very seriously. The legal team at Adkinson Law will work hard to ensure the needs of the children are met and to avoid disagreements motivated by revenge and stubborn attitudes.

Call Adkinson Law Firm, LLC today for a free consultation at about your questions regarding modification in Florida. Located in DeFuniak Springs, the firm represents individuals throughout the Florida Panhandle, including, but not limited to Crestview, Fort Walton Beach, Destin, Niceville, Chipley, Vernon, Freeport, Bonifay, Westville, Milton, Gulf Breeze, Pensacola and Century.

Definition of Modification of Child Support in Florida

Florida Law requires all non-custodial parents to financially support their children by paying child support, which is defined as a monthly payment made to the custodial parent to cover the cost of basic needs, such as food shelter and clothing. Non-custodial parent are required to pay child support until the child reaches the age of 18 unless special circumstances warrant an extension.

In Florida, child support orders will only be modified in cases where the financial circumstance of either party has drastically changed and a modification would be in the best interest of the child or children.

Modifying Existing Agreements in Fort Walton Beach

Changes in circumstance requiring a modification of the original child custody and support agreements can include:

  • Child's school activities require a change in custody agreements;
  • Child is older and requires a different plan;
  • Parent moves to another city or state;
  • Parent marries an abusive spouse;
  • Parent loses a job or gets a new job;
  • Parent is addicted to illegal substances; or
  • Other reasons that are in the best interest of the child.

If the primary caregiver of a child wants to relocate and modify an existing custody and visitation agreement, the move must be approved according to Florida's relocation guidelines. Your family law attorney will explain these guidelines and help you determine if moving the child is possible.

Adkinson Law Firm, LLC | DeFuniak Springs Child Support Modification Attorney

Do you need help modifying an existing Florida child custody or support agreement? Adkinson Law Firm, LLC helps clients throughout Okaloosa County, Washington County, Walton County, Holmes County, Santa Rosa County and Escambia County with various family law matters.

Adkinson Law Firm, LLC will provide you with an experienced Defuniak Springs family law attorney who will make every effort to help you resolve your modification as quickly and with as little stress as possible. Call or submit an online form for a free initial consultation about child custody modification throughout the Florida Panhandle.